Society
Migrants risk death in the Alps to reach France
- 2026-02-11
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: LEUNG Chi NgaiEdited by: SIU Tsz Hang
- 2026-02-11
“Good luck. Danger – call 112,” a volunteer from a refugee shelter reiterated to a group of around 15 migrants at the bus stop in Oulx, an Italian town near the border with France, on Dec. 4, 2025. To avoid being caught by the French police when they crossed the border, these migrants were planning to ascend the 2,000 meter Alps to reach France that night. Others have died on this same route before. If these migrants get in trouble in the mountains, emergency operators will put them in touch with the Italian Red Cross to save them. An hour later, their bus arrived at Claviere – a small Italian Alps village near the French border – and the group began its climb into the mountains. Soon they found a shallow mountain cave, and they huddled inside to rest. It was below freezing. They wrapped their limbs with thermal blankets; some had bread with an energy drink; others lay on the floor for a nap. The mountains that claimed lives Thousands of migrants each year brave the mountain passes from Oulx in Italy to Mongenèvre in France to avoid police. Since the reintroduction of border controls by France after the 2015 Paris attacks, pushbacks by French border police to migrants in the Hautes-Alps region have become routine, even though denying access to asylum seekers is illegal under EU law. In early December, I visited Rifugio Fraternità Massi, a refugee shelter in Oulx, to report on African migrants. Oulx is the major transition point prior to their departure to either the more popular, southwest town of Claviere or the northwest town of Bardonecchia before crossing the border. The around 30 sq-meter reception was filled with chairs; drawn pictures in English, Arabic and other languages with various countries' flags were stuck onto …
Kowloon City's Tei Mou Koon closes after 42 years in business
- 2026-02-10
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: SHI Puxuan Amy、WU Sitan ElaineEdited by: Fu Rong
- 2026-02-10
After 42 years of catering for Kowloon City residents, Tei Mou Koon closed on Jan. 31. The restaurant closed due to the increase in rent and the development scheme of Kowloon City. Many people expressed their reluctance. For local residents, coming to this restaurant gives them a sense of being back home.
International Education Fair Myanmar records lowest turnout since relaunch in 2023
- 2026-02-04
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Pann Hnin Nay Chi PannEdited by: CHEN Xiyun
- 2026-02-04
Yangon, Myanmar - The International Education Fair Myanmar 2026 drew around 300 registered visitors, a 40% decline compared to last year and the lowest turnout since the event resumed in 2023, according to the fair’s public menu. Aimed at connecting local students with both domestic and international institutions, the fair falls Jan. 31 to Feb. 1 in Yangon, organised by Dagon Exhibition Limited. “Some institutions are strong at marketing but may offer a different experience after enrolment, ” said Phoo Sone Nyi Tun, 24, who came to seek a potential university for her younger sister. “We don’t have the chance to visit the campuses in person now, so this is the only way to check,” Phoo Sone Nyi Tun said. Naing Lin Tun, 17, said, “I came to the fair to look for alternative universities and understand what options are still open for this year's intake.” He dropped out of a “2+2 degree” programme at INTI International University in Malaysia, which promised students the opportunity to complete the final two years of college in the United States. “The main reason I enrolled was the transfer pathway. I expected the programme to be a stepping stone, but without the chance to transfer to the United States, I felt the education I was receiving wasn’t strong enough for me to continue,” Naing Lin Tun said. According to the National Immigration Forum, Burmese residents were no longer eligible to obtain a student visa to the United States after a travel ban announced in 2025. To address families’ concerns and the long-term loss of talents, the local community hopes more international institutions establish their branches in Myanmar, said Nay Oke, 82, patron of College and University Association Myanmar. “If these schools establish local campuses, young people won’t need to leave the country to access …
Pet the insect: Mantis exhibition sparks interest among pet buyers
- 2026-02-03
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: LI Jinyang Carlos、RONG Miu Tung ShellyEdited by: CHEN Ziyu
- 2026-02-03
Visitors gathered around rows of glass cages to observe the live mantises at the annual Hong Kong Pet Show, held at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre from Jan. 29 to Feb. 1. The exhibition aims to show the unique charm of mantises as a kind of pet, breaking the public’s stereotypes towards mantises, said Lai Kai-keh, 61, who is responsible for marketing and sourcing of mantises. “There are many misunderstandings about insects in Hong Kong. For instance, stick insects can actually be kept as pets,” Lai said. Over 50 species of mantises were displayed, including more than 10 new varieties, such as the colourful Metallyticus mantis and the impressive Peruvian shield mantis. All mantises were provided by the organisation “Mantis Forest”. Lai said education is more important than promotion. “We don’t encourage impulsive ownership if owners do not really understand this species. They should learn more about mantises,” he added. He added the ownership of insect pets has increased. “There are already more than 300 members in the Hong Kong mantis association on Facebook.” Visitors were interested in the mantis's camouflage and the setup of its breeding cage. Some booths were crowded with people looking for those well-hidden mantises. Some traditional pet lovers were considering keeping mantises for the first time due to their beauty, both in stature and active posture. “The special posture and its tiny size are really eye-catching," said Canny Heoi, a cat owner who was attracted by the petal-like limbs and elegant posture of the orchid mantis. “For a city known for its love of cats and dogs, this special mantis exhibition proved that even the smallest species can be the spotlight of the public,” Lai said.
Passengers and drivers doubt effectiveness and fairness of the new seatbelt rules
- 2026-01-28
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Cao Beiyu、Ng Wing Sum JodieEdited by: LEUNG Chi Ngai
- 2026-01-28
Passengers and drivers are concerned about the fairness and effectiveness of the seatbelt amendment that officially took effect on Jan. 25. All passengers on public transport and drivers who fail to wear seatbelts without a reasonable excuse are now liable to a maximum fine of HK$5,000 and up to 3 months’ imprisonment, according to the new amendment. “I think there is enough publicity for this new rule. I’ve been seeing the government’s promotion on TV since December,” said Ng Siu-leung, 58, a passenger at Sha Tin bus terminus. Another passenger, Wong Tsui-yim, 90, said she was aware of the new rule after seeing the news on TV, and her elderly friends would remind one another of the new seatbelt rules via WhatsApp groups. Despite the notice signs, Zhang Lan, a mainland Chinese tourist who had just arrived in Hong Kong for a vacation, said she had heard nothing about the amendment of the new rules. “I don’t think they are talking about it enough,” said Noa Navet, 19, a French woman living in Hong Kong. Although the new seatbelt rule can better protect passenger safety, the government should promote the new rules for younger people and foreigners via social media, she added. The new amendment also states that drivers will receive an HK$2,000 fine if they have more than two technology devices placed in front of them while driving. Local resident Chan Chung-kei, 31, said it is unfair to have a higher penalty for passengers not wearing seatbelts compared to drivers who look at their digital devices while driving. “It is the driver's responsibility to ensure the passengers’ safety, but why should inattentive drivers be fined less than passengers without seatbelts?” she said. Kong Pak-tung, 24, a Kowloon bus driver of route 289R, said he saw some passengers who didn’t …
From ‘brain rot’ to balance: Gen Z’s pursuit of meaningful content in fragmented media
- 2026-01-26
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: Yu Yan Pui、Edited by: CAO Jiawen、ALISHIBA MATLOOB
- 2026-01-26
Every day, Zhang Danying, 22, an undergraduate student from mainland China at Hong Kong Baptist University, turns her phone on to enjoy scrolling through clips and image-driven posts on social media from the moment she wakes up. She spends almost 12 hours a day watching netizens dancing to pop music, or trying out various challenges. Zhang aspires to seek learning advice and reach for lighthearted social snippets to feel relaxed. Instead, she grew anxious from social comparison with people, and came down to media addiction that disrupted her daily routines out of the cyberworld, with constant inner struggles. “It is hard not to watch social media for a day,” Zhang Danying said. “But after watching it, I feel uncomfortable all day.” Zhang is not alone. In mainland China as well as globally, it has become common for Gen Z to jokingly claim they are suffering from “brain rot”—a slang phrase that means poor cognitive skills and fading memory after hours of social media scrolling. As noted by the Oxford University Press in 2024, usage of the term “brain rot” surged by 230% from 2023 to 2024. According to a 2024 survey by Bazaarvoice in Statista, 34% of interviewees' responses that short-form videos, such as TikTok and Instagram reels, are more effective at spreading online than text-based posts. Based on Metricool Viral Trends Analysis, popular social media posts include catchy music, timely hashtags, evolving cultural conversations and collective online experiences, shaping as a market strategy. As noted by the China Trends 2024 by Groove Dynasty, it highlights Douyin phenomena of emerging social experiment-type challenges, one case is that participants stage humiliating acts in crowded elevators to capture bystander reactions. Other examples include the ‘APT. Dance’ that features hand gestures with upbeat music. Zhang Danying is caught up in the wave of …
From concert dreams to criminal threats: Hong Kong students trapped in cross-border scams
- 2026-01-22
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: CHEN Ziyu、ZHENG XinyiEdited by: YANG Haicen
- 2026-01-22
When K-pop boy group Seventeen announced it was holding two concerts in Hong Kong in September, devoted fan Tsai Oi-wai, 20, knew it was an opportunity she couldn’t miss. But by the time she was online, tickets were sold out. Tsai scrolled endlessly on Instagram until she came across a second-hand ticket reseller who seemed trustworthy. “I even checked his profile, which had photos of everyday life—scenery, food, and other pictures—so I didn’t suspect anything,” Tsai said. Tsai’s ideal seat was priced at HK$2,099 on the official website, and the seller asked for HK$2,599. “I think the price was still within a reasonable range, so I transferred the money to him without further hesitation,” she said. The entire conversation and transaction took place over WhatsApp. “The seller told me that all payments and refunds had to go through a third-party partner company, which required additional verification procedures,” she added. “The scammer then asked me to enter a verification code, and I did so,” said Tsai. “Ever since then, I’ve never heard from that person again, nor any updates about my ticket.” She was scammed out of HK$42,034. Tsai’s experience is far from unique. According to the Hong Kong Police, fraud cases have surged dramatically, rising from 15,553 cases in 2020 to 444,480 in 2024, representing an increase of nearly thirtyfold, with the upward trend continuing in the first half of 2025. Students are easy targets for scammers. As of September, university students have reported 1,711 scam cases with total losses of HK$180 million, according to the Hong Kong police’s Anti-Deception Coordination Centre. Phone scams accounted for HK$16 million in losses among local students, while mainland students suffered significantly higher losses at HK$87 million. “Students are an ideal target for scammers, as their limited life experience and lack of familiarity with …
The story of Peter: How socially vulnerable people in Denmark reintegrate back into the society
- 2025-12-21
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: LEUNG Chi NgaiEdited by: SIU Tsz Hang
- 2025-12-21
Reported by Bono Leung Chi-ngai Edited by Henry Siu Tsz-hang Video description: Peter is one in around 17,000 people in Denmark receiving a Socialt Frikort, a card that is applicable for socially vulnerable people to obtain a certain amount of tax-free income. He is currently a driver for PantForPant, a working community under the NGO Foreningen Gade Liv that hires socially vulnerable people. Here he shares his reintegration process back into the society.
Mourners grieve at Taipei Main Station after deadly stabbings
- 2025-12-21
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: CHAN Wing Yiu、LAI Uen LingEdited by: Wing Chi HO
- 2025-12-21
Flowers, handwritten notes and candles for memorial are placed at Taipei Main Station, following a deadly attack on Friday night that left at least four people dead and 11 others injured. Police said the suspect, Chang Wen, 27, set off multiple smoke bombs inside the station before launching a knife attack. Police added that he later moved to the Zhongshan shopping district, a popular commercial area, where the assault continued. After the attacks, the suspect fell to his death from a department store building, Director-General of National Police Agency of Taiwan Chang Jung-hsin said at a press conference. Authorities said Chang had an outstanding warrant for evading military service and is believed to have committed the crime alone. While the motive remains unclear, investigators said the attacks appeared to be planned. In response to the incident, Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an announced on Saturday that the city government implemented various measures, including strengthening police deployment and increasing random inspections throughout the city. Around 2,000 police officers are assigned at metro stations and other key locations to enhance security measures across the city, according to the National Police Agency. Taiwan President Lai Ching-te pledged a full public inquiry and offered condolences to the victims and their families on his official page. According to his Facebook page, he visited hospitals on Saturday to meet survivors and express support.
No more clubs and wine: the rise of morning rave in Australia
- 2025-12-16
- Society
- The Young Reporter
- By: CHAU Wing YauEdited by: KURNIAWAN Trista Vania、LAI Uen Ling
- 2025-12-16
Young Australians are leading a new trend all over social media, focusing on alcohol-free socialising and personal wellness. The trend is on the news everywhere in Australia. Data shows 76% of 1000 young Australians, aged 18-24, prefer to socialise without alcohol. Meanwhile, one in four Australians has reduced their alcohol consumption over the past year. Instead of bars and clubs, people in Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne are flocking to cafes and bakeries hosting 8 am morning raves to kick off the day feeling fresh and energised.
